Books being reviewed by members of the class in Summer 2012
If you are in the class and I have approved your book but you don’t see it listed here, please let me know right away. No two people may review the same book.
Important note: If you have sent me the title of your book but it is not listed here please remember my strict instruction that I would only post your book here if you sent me a full and correct bibliographic citation, in the format specified in the referencing guidelines posted on Canvas. If your book isn’t listed here, this means that you don’t have someone to give you feedback on your review, and your don’t have a review to comment on yourself.
- Larkin, Emma. 2010. Everything Is Broken: A Tale of Catastrophe in Burma. New York: The Penguin Press HC. (Alexandra M., reviewed by Anna S.)
- Mam, Somaly. 2009. The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine. New York: Doubleday. (Haley M., reviewed by Jason E.)
- Ung, Loung. 2000. First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers. Harper Collins Publishers, New York. (Jason E; reviewed by Haley M.)
- Goldstein, Melvyn C. 1997. The Snow Lion and the Dragon: China, Tibet and the Dalai Lama. University of California Press. London England. (William G., reviewed by Katie D.)
- Jan Van Luyn, Floris. 2008. A Floating City of Peasants. Trans. Ringold, Jeannette. New York: The New Press.(Anna S., reviewed by Alexandra M.)
- Troost, J. Maarten. 2008. Lost on Planet China. New York City: Broadway. (Katie D., reviewed by William G.)
- Bertrand, Jacques. 2004. Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict in Indonesia.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (Paul N., reviewed by Karla C.)
- Graham, Duncan. 2004. The People Next Door: Understanding Indonesia. Crawley: University of Western Australia Press. (Karla C., reviewed by Paul N.)
- Yao, Souchou. 2007. Singapore: the state and the culture of excess. London and New York: Routledge. (Blaize R., reviewed by Lindsey C.)
- Lamb, David. 2002. Vietnam Now: A Reporter’s Return. New York: Public Affairs. (Lindsey C. reviwed by Blaize R.)
- Boo, Katherine. 2012. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity. Waterville, Me.: Thorndike. (Tayler S.)
- Drake, Bill. 2012. Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Thailand. CreateSpace. (Cassidy V.)
- Bizot, Francois. 2004. The Gate. New York: Random House. (Tayler S.)