A student who successfully completes Geog 101 should
- … have begun to learn how to learn independently, and should appreciate that education is a valuable and fulfilling lifelong process.
- …have an understanding the discipline and most important sub-disciplines of geography, be familiar with its basic principles and concepts, and understand some simple geographic models and theories.
- … have formulated an understanding of how the study of geography in general, and World Regional Geography in particular, fits into an education in the liberal arts and sciences.
- …appreciate the value of looking at and understanding the world from a spatial perspective.
- …be familiar with the regions of the world, their human and physical geographies, their histories, and the challenges they face.
- … have an understanding of the processes and consequences of economic development and underdevelopment.
- … be able to find, assess the reliability of, and interpret geographic data and information using a variety of print and online sources
- …be able to better understand what’s going on in the world by seeing current events in their geographic context
- … understand the connectedness of places, and the forces of globalization and localization.
10. … appreciate the value of transcending parochialism, and trying to see the world (including one’s own country) as other people in other places and with different backgrounds might see it.